November 24, 2017
Fort Kent, ME: The Fort Kent Lions Club raised $11,000 after a day of passenger train rides earlier this year. All proceeds will benefit the Fort Kent, St. Francis, Frenchville and Eagle Lake communities in the area. Maine Northern Railway provided the engines and passenger cars for the ride and crews volunteered their time to support the local community.
The Lions Club partnered with Maine Northern Railway to offer three special two-hour passenger train excursions back and forth from Fort Kent to Soldier Pond in Wallagrass, Maine.
“The Maine Northern Railway (MNR) staff were terrific to work with. They went out of their way to make sure the over 600 passengers had great experience," said Roy Bernard, Lion Club Member. “Together the volunteers from our club and from MNR made this fundraiser a great success."
Bernard says almost 100% of the $11,000 raised will be pumped right back into the communities that the Fort Kent Lions Club serves.
Some of the causes supported by the Lions include:
• Compassion for Christmas (donations to local needy families)
• Scholarships for local students
• Eye Care, Diabetes and Hearing Impairment programs (locally and internationally)
• Town Children’s Christmas Tree
• Christmas Lights for Town of Fort Kent
• Aroostook Teen Leadership
• Major sponsors to the Fort Kent River Side Park by providing a gazebo, RV Park, bathroom facilities and Pavilion
• Charter Sponsor for the Fort Kent Boy Scouts Club plus annual financial donations
• Life Flight of Maine
• Aroostook Mental Health Center
• Edgar Paradis Cancer Fund
• Can Am Dogs Sled Race
• Local Food Drives
• School Play Ground Equipment Fund
• Local School Team Uniforms
"Once again on behalf of Fort Kent Lions Club and the communities we serve: Thank you, Maine Northern Railway! Your team’s generosity and community spirit was greatly appreciated," Bernard said.